Pekò – Offida Pecorino DOCG
Peko’ gets its name from the grapevine Offida Pecorino, whose story begins in the Piceno tradition of sheep-farming. In fact the story says that during the transhumance in our lands, the ripened grape was the animals’ favourite food, from this the name “grape of the sheep” . An old grapevine and romantic symbol of that inseparable bond between man, land and life, that today, more than ever, we would like to recuperate. Relegated to the margins of the wine scene until the 90s when thanks to a major research and development program undertaken by local historical companies the importance of the grape was restored. In 2011 the Offida Pecorino obtains the DOCG designation, entering the ranks of Italian production excellence. An important goal that affirms the quality of the Piceno wine and the richness of its land. Our Peko ‘is a young wine, of a pleasant and lively freshness, but with a well structured body. On the nose, vibrant shades of green, jasmine and apple in evidence against a backdrop of tropical fruit. In the mouth it is ample and fresh; minerality and good structure mitigate the alcoholic power. Long echo with a slight almond finish.
- GRAPE VARIETAL: Pecorino 100%
- PRODUCTION AREA: South Marche, Ascoli Piceno Province, municipality of Rotella.
- SOIL: Medium texture/clay and altered limestone banks.
- VINEYARDS: 350m a.s.l.; Guyot training system; 4,000 vines per hectare.
- CLIMATE: Cold winters with cool springs and dry summers.
- VINIFICATION: De-stemming and soft pressing of the grapes (in the absence of O2), with reduction of the temperature of the mash through the use of CO2. Slow fermentation at a temperature from 10 °- 20 ° C.
- AGEING: In temperature controlled stainless steel.
- REFINING: 3 months in bottle at a temperature of 15 ° C.
- TASTING NOTES: Yellow color with greenish reflections; the nose has vibrant shades of green: jasmine and apple in evidence against a backdrop of tropical fruit. In the mouth it is ample and fresh, mineral sensations and good structure soften the alcohol power. Long echo with a slight almond finish.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Best with stuffed pasta in white sauce, fish soup and fish in general, but also white meats in sauces made from herbs, fresh cheese or mushrooms.
- SERVING TEMPERATURE: 8°-10° C.
- SHELF LIFE: Best drunk preferably within four years.
|Awards||Decanter Worl Wine Awards - BronzeInternational Wine ChallengeIWSC Bronze 2014|